home about etsy tips friends contact 

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Auction? YES-please!!!

Vintage, junk, salvaged, re purposed, recycled, upcycled, crap-whatever you want to call it I LOVE it!! Since moving to Iowa seven years ago I have discovered so many cool little antique stores, flea markets, occasional sales and "junk" stores. I like the look in my house and I REALLY like that the more kids beat it up the more character the piece has. Our kitchen table, for example, is battered every day and it doesn't stress me out!
So, when a fellow junk-lover invited me to go to an auction I was so excited! My husband has been telling me I need to go to auctions and get the cool things at cheaper prices. Let me tell you this auction didn't have much that was cheap! People were in the mood to shop and buy on this HOT day and really bid things up! I bid on quite a few things but was too cheap to get more than a few old glass soda bottles. My plan for these is to try the modge podge and food coloring "paint" on glass effect. I first found it here check out her result.
I thought I would start out small and work my way into a more detailed project. I'll post pictures and a step-by-step soon.


My other "win" was a little bigger and more pricey, but well under what I was willing to go up to, so I was excited to be the highest bidder for this one. So excited that I was celebrating when I won and forgot to show my number, the auctioneer told me next time celebrate AFTER I show my number! Here is a picture from the web of a my great score.


The Classroom Printer from 1932 and it's in great shape. I am so excited to use it in my mixed media art and for making some pendants for my necklaces!! My kids will love it too-under close supervision of course!

So, it was a super fun day, requiring so much patience, it took a long time to get to the good stuff, and good listening skills (that guy talked FAST!!!).

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the shout out!! :) Can't wait to see how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU! :)
    I have the post up now and am pretty excited with how they turned out!

    ReplyDelete