home about etsy tips friends contact 

Monday, May 16, 2011

An Original Idea?

I have been on the hunt for a cool, vintage, or vintage-inspired dress form for jewelry display. I have been searching online and looking at local auction sites for quite a while but just couldn't bring myself to spend $200+. I was about to buy small handmade version on Etsy on Friday morning, but decided to wait a little longer. Lucky for me Friday afternoon the hubs and I checked out an overstock store in the area and there was the cutest little child's dress form with a cool base. Of course I forgot to take before pictures so here is one just like it from the web:






So, after working on it off and on throughout the weekend here is what it looks like now:



I am trying to decide if I want to add something more, maybe some bling or ribbon, tacks,spray paint the top and base black,etc. Truly, it will never be done because I'll always tweak it a little. I am bothered by the rod being off-center, the hubs told me it would be fine but it's just not sitting right with me. What do you think?

I loved working on this so much and thought other artists, store owners, etc would like something like this for their displays or as cool art for the house. I thought I was so creative and original until I was perusing the latest Where Women Create and there is an artist featured with dress forms similar to this and to what I want to do with my other forms! So that took my excitement level down a little but at least I thought of it BEFORE I saw it in the magazine-so I can count it as an original idea right?

1 comment:

  1. What if you took her off her stand? I like the idea of adding bling to her. Otherwise, I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete